Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kylie's Irrational Fears

Kylie does not like our black gliding chair. My grandparents bought this for me when the boys were born. I rocked Kylie to sleep in it every night until she decided she was done. But it was for quite a while. The last couple months we were in WA she seemed to be upset when someone would sit in the chair. It wasn't ridiculous but it was weird. Currently she completely freaks out. If someone sits in it she SCREAMS (the really high pitched kind) and stomps her feet and says "no chair! no chair! I go nite nite!" Typically, if you just stay in the chair and distract her with something else for a minute or two she gets mostly over it and "allows" you to continue sitting in it. SO weird.
She has also developed a huge fear of brooms. It includes vaccums and the sweeper but is far worse with the broom. I swept ALL the time, multiple times a day in our other house. We came here and after a meal my mom swept around the table. Normal broom. Normal Sweeping. Small mess to clean up. And Kylie lost it. We thought it was weird and random. However, it has continued. No matter who it is or where we are she SCREAMS if someone starts sweeping as if just the sight of the broom might kill her and runs for "protection" to her nearest trusted person.
Kylie is not a fan of men. I remember it took her some time to warm up to Jared's dad. Not too long and she obviously got completely over it. It definately took some time for her to warm up to my dad. She's still not completely there. She will now appreciate him from a distance and occasionally give him five. Less occasionally she will give him a hug. At the end of my brother's visit she would consider giving him five. Guys we meet/old friends we see she is not a fan of if they are men. Jared took her to nursery the other day and a man was in charge. She cried (which is normal but always very brief) when he dropped her off to a female teacher. The man came over to help (since he was in charge) and it took her quite some time from what I hear to settle down. This past week at nursery she cried when I dropped her off and a male helper picked her up. As I walked down the hall she continued to cry. I snuck back down there so she couldn't see me and told the woman there that she was weird with men and may just calm down if a woman held her instead. Worked like a charm. SO weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment