Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Getting Over Our Fears

My boys are not typically afraid of things (not more than a typical kid anyway) since moving here they developed a few fears. Bugs and water. Now these are not surprising since in WA there are not very many bugs and swimming is not as common an activity. At this point they don't love bugs but they are not terrified and it's easy to walk them through a bug situation without them panicking. As for the water I'm fine with them having a healthy fear of water but they need to not be terrified. We got a large pool that is around a foot deep for the back yard and they LOVE it. I think it is a helpful transition to a real pool. We still need to have life jackets or something which are kind of scary on their own. I'll hopefully be able to do swimming lessons for them next summer.
Kylie is a different story. She's got some crazy fears (all relating to movement) and I have no idea where they came from. She's doing MUCH better though. Some have gone away completely. For instance, the sweeper - she even helps me now. Some things now we can just talk her through and she's willing to calm down. The swing is still a little iffy but she's willing to "let" others swing if we talk her through it. I'm fine with her not wanting to swing. The black chair at our house was the first thing and it looks like it will be the last. We've gotten her fine with us sitting in it but no rocking! Just tonight when she got upset I asked her to help me rock so she came and pushed me and thought that was great. I think we are on our way out of that one. She's so silly.
I will not ignore my kids fears or brush them off. Kids are aloud to be afraid. However.... We really need to work through most of them so they aren't afraid of them forever! Thankfully, we are making progress!

- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment