Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Drivers License

Well I will soon be turning the big three o. Bummer. I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as it happens.
ANYWAY...this means I have to renew my drivers license. For some reason they wouldn't let me do it online this year so since I all ready had to go in I decided to get an enhanced license so I could skip the passport and easily get into Canada since we're only a few minutes away. You have to make an appointment for this kind of license so I arranged to have Jared's sister watch the boys, got all the paperwork they told me I needed (and double checked online)and went in. The two guys I was working with were super nice so that made it easier. However, when they asked me my social security number they couldn't find it. The reason is because I never reported my name change when I got married (EIGHT years ago!) At first I tried several times to get it done but was on hold so long each time that I gave up. Jared gets on my case every year at tax time to get it done and I never do. I know I need to of course but it's just such a pain. Anyway, they tell me I can't get the enhanced license until I fix that. On top of that they told me the SS office needs my marriage license but told me what I have is not the real thing (it's the one people frame I guess) and I have to send for it. WHAT? Why don't they just automatically send you one copy? So I went ahead and got my regular license since I can't accomplish all this before it expires and just figured I'd skip the enhanced part. But they were really nice and did all the stuff they could so I can just come in for a couple minutes after I get my stuff together. So, now I have to send for my marriage license ($15) then after that comes and my new license comes I have to go to the social security office and take care of that, then wait again and then make an appointment at the dmv and pay another $15 to get an enhanced license. Lame. Oh well, at least Jared will be happy my name is changed with the social security. Oh, and I think my picture might not be awul. We shall see. I might have to get another one when I go in again anyway.

1 comment:

  1. oh I have to share.

    After Brion and I got back from our honeymoon I went just about straight to the social security office to get my name changed. I was so excited! In hand I had my WA DL and a certified copy of my marriage certificate. When I get there the lady at the social security office types in my social security number and concludes to tell me that until the name on my driver's license and the name on my social security card match EXACTLY I can't get my last name changed.

    The deal is my name is hyphenated on my driver's license and not on my social security card. And the last name on my social security card is HAYS but my actual real name is HIGGINBOTHAM and my license reads HIGGINBOTHAM-HAYS. So until a I legally change my name to HAYS and get a driver's license with that name on it I can't legally change my name to SPORE. It's pretty ridiculous.

    So I feel your pain. :)

    ReplyDelete